Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The Best Taco Pescado in Boston

Walking down a very desolate-looking Landsdowne street, I couldn't help but wonder whether or not this taco joint would even be open. The various shops dedicated to Red Sox paraphernalia were shuttered and silent; the various nightclubs were eerily empty. In fact, the only people wandering about were tourists with cameras in hand, taking in the fresh air and admiring the Green Monster. At the very end of the street I finally reached my destination. La Verdad contains both a nice-looking restaurant with outdoor patio seating and a walk-up counter with a somewhat limited menu. It was what was on the menu that blew me away. Behind the friendly counter girl a matriarchal woman was busy patting perfect little white balls of dough for making HOMEMADE TORTILLAS. Not a food item I could ever pass up. I ordered the Pescado and took a seat to await my food. The cafeteria-style room seemed straight off a side street in Mexico -- only a whole lot cleaner. Bright, Latin music played in the background and a cool breeze wafted in through the wide-open doors. I got my meal to go but didn't get more than two feet outside of the place before curiosity got the better of me. How good does a HOMEMADE TORTILLA taste?

Answer: pretty DAMN good.

I wolfed down my fish taco in less time than it takes to type this sentence. The fish was light, fluffy and perfectly cooked in a delicate, crispy fried coating. Delish! The fish is fried "Pescado encenita style" and served with avocado puree, marinated cabbage, crema, salsa crudo, chipotle mayonesa and a wedge of lime to squeeze on top. The whole thing was absolutely amazing. If I hadn’t been in such a hurry to catch the T, I would have gone back and ordered 3 more.

I will be dreaming about those tacos pescados for quite some time…

~flutterbyblue

La Verdad
1 Lansdowne St, Boston 02215
At Ipswich St

Recommended by: The Food Monkey

No comments: