Friday, April 18, 2008

SPATS...for ladies?

My latest obsession has been with these gorgeous, custom made spats by Bonzie. I had no idea whether or not one would actually wear such a thing in public, but I felt the combination of funky vintage lace and fabric would make me bold enough to give it a go.

Although spats were originally designed as a men's shoe accessory worn in the late 19th and early 20th Century (think French infantry) and are currently still seen on marching band members (*gag*!) there is something high fashion elegant about these odd, seemingly frivolous bits of clothing. The spats sit over high heeled shoes and can fasten up the back. I think they are a unique way to spruce up a simple sheath dress or a solid colored skirt.

But what do I know?

Check out blog entries by Chic&Charming, fashion nation, and the shoe blog.

Ridiculous?

Yes...

...but if Serena van der Woodsen can pull them off and Chanel or Miu Miu can make them, then maybe my fashion tendencies aren't so far-fetched. At least that's what I'll tell myself once I get myself a pair custom made. ;)

~flutterbyblue

Images lifted from bonzie.etsy.com, fashionation.wordpress.com and www.possothespat.com

No comments: