Monday, April 7, 2008

Edith Piaf

Last night my friend and I finally got around to watching La Vie En Rose, the story of Edith Piaf, French singer and icon (NOT, as I learned, to be confused with Ma Vie En Rose, the story of a 7-year-old boy who thinks he's a girl trapped in a boy's body.) Not having any real concept of who Edith Piaf was before seeing the film, probably detracted from the unbelievably acting talent of Marion Cotillard. Even so, the film was beautiful, and the story, though meandering and a bit confusing at times, was fascinating.

I can see why Marion Cotillard won the Oscar this year for Best Actress. In the film, she portrays Piaf from street urchin to rising star to French Icon to decrepit old woman. The truly amazing thing is that while on screen, Cotillard looks harsh, awkward and extremely bizarre, while in real life, she's incredibly beautiful:


See the real Edith Piaf perform the title song:


~flutterbyblue

3 comments:

WendyB said...

I thought the actress was great, but that the movie was pretty horrible.

flutterbyblue said...

I totally agree. Most biographical dramas seem to end up that way...

flutterbyblue said...

Yah, I heard about that...she also had some interesting comments about the moon landings.