Wednesday, September 5, 2007

A microwave popcorn habit

An article in the New York Times caught my eye today. It was about a man who had overdosed on microwave popcorn (in a manner of speaking.) Apparently, prolonged exposure to diacetyl vapor produced from heated synthetic butter can lead to swelling and scarring of the small airways of the lungs. The severe form of the disease is called bronchiolitis obliterans or "popcorn workers' lung," and can be fatal.

Granted, the man in question had a serious microwave popcorn addiction (popping on average twice a day for more than 10 years...)

Doctor: "This is a very weird question, but bear with me. But are you around a lot of popcorn?’ ”

Patient (jaw dropping): "How could you possibly know that about me? I am MR. Popcorn. I LOVE popcorn."

So the next time you feel the urge to pop up some microwave popcorn, consider the health implications of this seemingly innocuous snack...

...and whatever you do, don't inhale.


1 comment:

Chic and Charming said...

At first I really thought you were just messing with us, so I clicked on the NYT link figuring it would just go to some joke page.
That is truly bizarre.