Monday, March 10, 2008

Clover Coffee

Yesterday afternoon, a friend and I decided to try out the fanciful Clover Coffee machine, a state-of-the-art coffee machine that brews one cup of coffee at a time. Velouria Espresso in Jamaica Plain houses the very first Clover Coffee brewer in New England. The benefit of this $11,000 piece of equipment is that one can order single origin coffees brewed to-order by the cup. If you can handle it (or happen to start early in the morning) I'd recommend the $9 tasting for two. We sat in comfy mod leather chairs and were served cup after cup of steaming, delicious brews.

The coffee, I have to admit, was amazing. It was fresh, flavorful and without any bitterness that comes of burned roasts or staleness of sitting in a pot for too long. After the second cup, my companion began to talk less about the flavor of the coffee and more about the sheer volume we were consuming. By the third cup, he began to say he had already maxed out on caffeine. By the fourth cup, he stopped protesting altogether and just mock-sipped his drink. In the end, even I did not make it all the way through the tasting. The sun was beginning to set and I had the distinct feeling I would be up all night on the self-induced caffeine buzz. The shop owner assured me that this has happened before.

24 hours later and I still feel like I am coming down off my caffeine high. Was it worth it?

Absolutely.

I may not have the stamina to be a true coffee aficionado, but I'll be back for more. Read about Clover Coffee on Slate.

~flutterbyblue
Image from www.chow.com


Velouria Espresso
389 Centre Street
Boston, MA 02130

3 comments:

pahkcah02 said...

I saw the Clover article on Slate a few weeks ago. Does Clover coffee really taste that different? What do they charge for something like that?

flutterbyblue said...

To be honest, I didn't check the prices for a single cup. Seeing as 10 cups were $9 I can't imagine 1 cup being all too pricey.

I really do prefer the flavor of Clover coffee just because I hate it when my coffee is burned or stale. Plus you can try a variety of single origin beans that each have a unique flavor.

I think Starbucks has also invested in a couple of these machines that they are trying out downtown...

pahkcah02 said...

$11,000 for a coffee maker - that's just sick. But still, I'm truly fascinated....