Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Ruffles!

I'll admit, I have totally bought into the ruffle-fashion-craze. While ruffles have always been around, this season they are out with a MISSION. Everywhere you turn there are ruffled tops, ruffled sweaters, ruffled scarves and ruffled skirts. On Project Runway, one of the contestants aptly remarked, "I hate ruffles! Ruffles make me sick!" youlookfab also had something to say about this phenomenon.

Despite the overdoneness of the ruffled look, I caved and already have quite a collection of ruffled items. My favorites are from Anthropologie. The Wrapped-In-Ruffles Jacket by Charlie & Robin is adorable - the high ruffled collar makes it seem straight out of a Victorian movie. The boiled wool fabric is thin, but warm. The first time I wore this piece to work I was certain I would be laughed at. I didn't care. Let them laugh!

My all-time favorite sweater, is the Plaza Cardigan by Moth. The soft cotton is soft and well draped. Surprisingly, the mass of ruffles is not overpowering. The cascading effect of the ruffles is fun - asymmetrical yet elegant at the same time. I would wear this sweater every day if that were socially acceptable.

My latest acquisition is the light, yet warm Waterfall Scarf. I always wanted one of these scarves so while on a trip to Washington D.C. I saw it and decided to buy it. I am not sure there is even a single Anthropologie store in all of Iowa so when the opportunity arose, I went for it.

I suppose there is such a thing as too much of a good thing, but for now, I'll be celebrating the decorative power of the ruffle.

~flutterbyblue

Images lifted from www.anthropologie.com, anthroholic.blogspot.com, www.stylehive.com

4 comments:

Sherry said...

it definitely doesn't suit all frames but you look good in ruffles babe!!

flutterbyblue said...

This is true - ruffles are not for everyone. I do think even if you can pull it off - it's best not to go overboard (although it is tempting!)

Anonymous said...

Oooh, ruffles! I've been wanting to buy something with ruffles for awhile now but I can't get seem to find anything that looks right on me. -sad-

J @ The Look 4 Less said...

I love the plaza cardigan and ordered it awhile ago but it's on backorder until January! I can't wait to get it.