Saturday, July 18, 2009

Konomi Restaurant & Grill

One of the last places I expected to find in land-locked Iowa was a fantastic sushi restaurant. To prove me wrong, Konomi Restaurant & Grill located in Coralville, not a 15 minute drive from our new home, serves up some of the most delectably fresh and delicious sashimi I have had in quite a while. The restaurant website does not contain a menu, but I'm not sure I could tell you what I had to eat anyhow. We ordered whatever was freshly shipped in that day. The chef also designed several of the best vegetarian rolls I have ever tried. Our favorite was a tempura fried zucchini and yam wrapped in rice and thinly sliced avocado.

For the fish eaters among us, the fresh yellowtail and white tuna were both phenomal, as were the selection of other fresh sushi and sashimi. The grilled eel served over thinly shaved daikon radish was fantastic.

After several cups of sake and plates of delicious and elegantly presented fish, we were ready to head home, happy and satisfied. Konomi far outpaces any common sushi restaurant in Boston. Undoubtedly the top sushi spots on the East or West coasts will always be a cut above, but for a very reasonably priced restaurant, Konomi outdoes just about every other expectation.

~flutterbyblue

Konomi Restaurant and Grill
843 Quarry Road
Unit 140
Coralville, IA 52241
Ph: (319) 351-2880

No comments: