Friday, June 13, 2008

Tim Russert: Farewell to a political icon

When I heard today that American political journalist, Tim Russert, had died suddenly of a heart attack, I was overcome by a wave of sadness and loss. It felt as though I had just heard of a favorite distant uncle passing on. "Meet the Press" is something I look forward to watching every single weekend. Except for the occasional perusal of the New York Times online, it's really my only source of political commentary. How will I know what's going on with the campaign without Russert's astute interviews? How will I entertain myself on the Monday morning commute without the podcast of Russert's biting and pointed questions? Where will I find a replacement Tim Russert on "Meet the Press"?

Sadly, there is no replacement.

Tim Russert, as far as I'm concerned, was the leading political journalist of our time. He was warm and friendly, with a wonderful sense of humor, yet he had no problem asking the hard questions of even the most powerful politician. He could hold his own among any well-informed political analyst or newscaster. The political world seems a lesser place in his absence.



We'll always remember,


If it's Sunday, it's "Meet the Press."



~flutterbyblue

No comments: